Thursday, February 3, 2011

G-free Pantry Essentials

This whole gluten-free thing has, in a small way, created a bit of an inconvenience in my day-to-day cooking and grocery shopping. It's not that I mind our family going g-free. After all, it is for the health of my baby (who will turn seven in two weeks!), therefore totally worth any extra effort or expense. It's just that I was really comfortable in my cooking and shopping before. I rarely ever had to look at our favorite recipes; they were all neatly tucked away in my brain, ready for preparation on a moment's notice.

Not so much anymore.

Late last week, I went through our pantry, fridge, freezer, and deep freeze. I gave every, single food item containing gluten, including my favorite Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour, to a friend--half-joyfully at how I was helping her family and half-wincing over what I felt like I was losing. 

I then took a step back, looked at my mostly empty pantry and fridge, and wondered how in the world I was going to fill them again with things that wouldn't make my boy's tummy upset anymore. 

Then, like a bolt from heaven, we received an e-mail from our friend Carrie. She has apparently been doing this g-free thing a lot longer than I have. She sent us her own list of gluten-free pantry essentials!

Not only am I excited to share it with you, but I am also pumped to begin stocking and using these ingredients in our meals too.

Carrie says, "These are items which I find necessary to keep in my pantry. They help in my day to day gluten-free cooking--basic essentials, if you will, for gluten free cooking without all the pre-made mixes!"

Xanthan Gum
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Brown Rice Flour
Potato Starch
Potato Flour
Sorghum Flour
Tapioca Starch (a.k.a. Tapioca Flour, it's the same thing)
Buckwheat Flour
Almond Meal
Pasta Joy brown rice noodles
Imagine soups 
Corn meal
Sea Salt

And if you just have to have a mix, Carrie highly recommends Pamela's Products.

Thanks, Carrie! I have a feeling this list is going to make my life a lot easier!

Submitted by Carrie; Written by Lindsey @ Penny-wise

No comments:

Post a Comment