Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cranberry Lemon Muffins

Right after Thanksgiving I found bags of fresh cranberries on sale, two for $1. This was too good a deal to pass up, so I snagged a couple bags. Then I got home and realized I had never made anything with fresh cranberries before! I searched and searched for a recipe to help me use up all those cranberries. Well, I found a yummy (and quite healthy) recipe on AllRecipes.com. I tweaked it a bit to suit our tastes and our nutritional needs, and what resulted was a fabulous muffin recipe! Hope you enjoy!

Dry ingredients:

1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar (feel free to experiment with honey, xylitol, or stevia)
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Wet ingredients:

1 cup milk
2 eggs (or 4 Tbsp. water)
1/4 cup applesauce (or vegetable or canola oil)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. pure lemon extract
1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped or run quickly through the food processor
zest of 1/2 a lemon

Mix the wet ingredients together. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Line your muffin pan, if you hate washing muffin tins as much as I do. Bake in a 400-degree oven 15-18 minutes. Remove to cool on a wire rack or wax paper.

These kept fresh in our unheated pantry for 7-8 days and were eaten with breakfast and as afternoon snacks.

Written and submitted by Lindsey @ Penny-wise

No comments:

Post a Comment