Thursday, January 6, 2011

Universal Muffin Recipe

I've found that one of the best ways to save money on baking and cooking is by using "universal" recipes. These allow me to use whatever I have on hand or can buy cheaply. There are no expensive or odd ingredients (unless you want them).
 
This is the one I use for muffins:
 
For 1 dozen muffins, combine:
 
2 cups grain (oats, wheat, rye or other flour, cornmeal or combination)
2 Tbsp. - 1/2 cup sweetner (sugar, brown sugar, succanet)-you can use honey or molasses at 1/2 cup while decreasing liquid to 3/4 cup
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
 
Mix these. Then add:
 
1 cup liquid (milk-cow, rice or soy- juice, part milk/part water)
1/4 cup oil or 4 Tbsp. melted butter (we like coconut oil)
1 egg (or 2 Tbsp. water)
 
Mix all.
 
Add additions as desired:
 
Chopped, shredded or pureed fruits or veggies
Nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, raisins
Spices
Fill with jam (put part of batter in bottom, top with 1 tsp. jam, fill with batter)
 
Some of our favorites are:
 
Oatmeal Raisin
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
Strawberry or Raspberry Jam Filled
Zucchini Chocolate Chip
Pumpkin, Plain or with Chocolate Chips
Banana with Cinnamon
Blueberry or Strawberry (we use frozen, partly thawed)
 
This recipe was taken from The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn.

Written and submitted by Rebecca

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful!! I adjusted these to be gluten free and made two batches this morning. One chocolate chip and one corn/cinnamon. Yummy!! I can see these will be a constant in our home.
    For gluten free I used Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix (same measurements as recipe calls for), but no baking powder. Pamela's mix already has the baking powder in it. The corn/cinnamon batch I used 1 cup Pamela's mix and 1 cup corn meal. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I will try it next with some brown rice flour, sorghum flour & tapioca starch (a GF blend). I'll let you all know how it comes out!! I'm always experimenting with my GF flour blends. Pamela's is just always my fallback, it's not the cheapest. But it's the best and easiest!

    ReplyDelete