Thursday, December 30, 2010

Simple Knitted Dishcloths & Washcloths

These make great gifts and you can make them slightly larger and use them for lovely wash cloths. I use the 48 stitch size for both dishcloths and washcloths, if you prefer a smaller dishcloth just use 44 stitches.
Bundle 2 to 3 together in ribbon and add to a gift basket of kitchen items, or for wash cloths in a baket of bath goodies. You can of course just give them as they are, or keep them for yourself. They are lovely to share and much nicer than store bought.
Here's what you'll need:
Size 8 knitting needles
I like Lily Sugar'n Cream yarn - 1 ball makes 2 dishcloths. Use any color you like.
.Cast on 3 stitches
  • Row 1: Knit across row.
  • Row 2 Increase one stitch and then finish knitting across row. Repeat this row till you have 48 sts on needle.
  • Row 3: K to last 2 sts; k 2 together to decrease.
Repeat Row 3 till you are back down to 3 sts again. Cast off. Use a small crochet hook or a needle to weave in loose ends. 
These last a long time and make a good project for you and your child.
Submitted by Linda @ Penny-wise

4 comments:

  1. My mother in law makes dishcloths constantly. It's her go-to knitting project to keep with her wherever she goes, and keep her hands busy all the time. She has 3 or 4 standard patterns that she has memorized, and switches back and forth between them. Everyone LOVES her dishcloths! Whenever they start to wear out, or we find that they've managed to walk away somehow, we beg her for more and she always has a stack to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't knitted or crocheted since I was a little girl. I would love to try again! This will be a great way to start. Thanks Linda for sharing this!! Next trip out I will pick up what I need to start. Which is everything, since I have nothing other than regular sewing supplies! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, just be careful to start off slowly - when I started up again I was so into it that I gave myself tendonitis in the thumb and hand, so don't do that, lol. Start slow and build back up - it may be I have a weakness in that hand because I also have carpal tunnel from time to time - but would hate it to happen to anyone else. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does anyone have a crochet version of this? I know how to crochet a little.

    ReplyDelete