Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Basic Beans

I know, I know. You're probably thinking, "Beans are so easy. Why would anyone need a blog post about cooking beans?"

Well, to be honest, I (Lindsey @ Penny-wise) didn't know how to make beans until just a few months ago. Shock and awe, I know.

They intimidated me. I thought there was something magical to the perfect pot of beans. It was the same feeling I had the first time I made a pot roast--sheer intimidation.

Now that I have conquered my fears (and made a few successful pots of beans), I have to say that cooking beans in the Crock Pot is, in my opinion, the easiest way to go. It takes very little effort, other than remembering to put them on the night before you want to eat them!

I like to sort my beans first, and I usually find at least one rock in every bag. Then I rinse the dirt off.

Then, put your beans in the Crock Pot, cover with water, and allow the beans to soak overnight. Next morning, turn the Crock Pot on and let the beans simmer away all day. Adding about 1 Tbsp. of salt, 1 tsp. of pepper, and 1 1/2 Tbsp. of chili powder before cooking will give your beans great flavor.

They'll be ready by supper time to eat with cornbread and sour cream or to use in any recipe calling for canned beans.

If you have lots of leftovers, divide them into 1 1/2 to 2 cup portions (about the equivalent of a 15 oz. can) and freeze.

And now, if you were at all intimidated by beans before, rest easy. Your Crock Pot will do all the work for you.

Submitted by Jen. Written by Lindsey.

5 comments:

  1. I still don't make my own beans. Thanks for the extra motivation and super easy way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make beans the same way but instead of cooking them in the same pot as they were soaked I drain and start with fresh water. Not sure why I do that! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read/heard somewhere that dumping the soaking water helps to get rid of the gas-causing stuff that soaked out overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know that we might all have less gas if we drain our beans before cooking! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made these awile ago and they were super good over rice, yum!

    ReplyDelete