Saturday, December 11, 2010

Conquering Brown Rice

I know when I first started buying my brown rice in bulk from my co-op, I had never made a successful batch of rice! I tried a wide variety of times and liquid amounts, but to no avail. The only benefit was that my chickens were receiving a lot nourishment! However, thanks to finally receiving a wonderful recipe, my husband is finally pleased and I am no longer anxious when making a rice meal. I assume perhaps others have had the same experience and are in need of a solution.
Due to it's low-phytate amounts, it isn't absolutely necessary to soak brown rice; however, because of the effect of phytates on the thyroid, I intend to experiment with soaking the rice in the near future. In the meantime, here is my very effective long-grain brown rice recipe, in two serving amounts, courtesy of Alton Brown at Food Network. This recipe allows you to make quite a bit of rice, so you'll have some left to conveniently freeze for another meal. You can easily halve the recipe, if you don't want to make so much.

Ingredients:

Large Serving
5 cups liquid (half water/half broth)
2 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. salt
3 cups brown rice

Put rice in a greased 9"x13" baking dish. In a pot, bring water, butter, and salt to a boil and stir to dissolve butter and salt. Pour over the rice. Cover tightly with foil and bake on a middle rack for one hour at 375 degrees. Then fluff with a fork.

Written and submitted by Rachel

5 comments:

  1. I boil my water in a tea kettle and pour it over the other ingredients in a Corning Ware dish. The glass cover works fine, and my rice comes out perfect every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've always struggled with brown rice too! As my husband said "you've never made successful brown rice..." Well after trying this recipe tonight, I have! He even had seconds of rice :0) It came out just perfectly. Plus I have plenty to freeze for a future meal. I will never cook brown rice any other way again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always buy the instant brown rice becuase I never get the other to turn out right. I suppose I will have to do it this way. Plus, there was always the problem of having the pot on the stove for 45 minutes. I love the idea of freezing some so I don't have to make it all the time. My family loves brown rice, so there may not be leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This worked perfectly! And much faster than my rice cooker that takes 2 1/2 hours to cook brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This worked so well and was so EASY!! I did not use the butter or salt, and used only water. My family is use to eating brown rice this way so they did not mind. It turned out so much better than the instant brown rice and way better than I have even been able to get the regular kind to turn out!!

    ReplyDelete